MGMT-536: Human Resources FoundationsJanuary 26, 2021 2021-01-26 11:07
MGMT-536: Human Resources Foundations
MGMT-536: Human Resources Foundations
Course Description and Prerequisites
To gain a foundation of the value and purpose of human relations in organizations, students begin by taking a macro-view of the Human Resources field and examining the role of a Human Resources department as a critical strategic business partner within the organization. In this course, students integrate concepts and current workplace issues while exploring and analyzing new technologies in the field. Students develop a broader understanding of business and culture and of how to build and support agile teams that work effectively.
Student Centered Learning Outcomes
- Assess the importance of Human Resources to the strategic success of an organization.
- Imagine a strong candidate for the Human Resources management position.
- Formulate a framework that recognizes the interrelationships among the core HR functions.
- Synthesize research about challenges/recent changes facing the HR profession and recommend adaptations to respond to those challenges/changes.
Textbook(s) and Technology Requirements
There is no required textbook for this course.
There are no specific technology requirements for this class.
- Week 1: Paradigm Shift from Human Commodity to Human Capital
- Week 2: The Evolution of Strategic Human Resources
- Week 3: Organizational Design
- Week 4: Leveraging Diversity in Recruitment & Selection
- Week 5: Learning as an Organization
- Week 6: Cultivating Employee Engagement & Experiences
- Week 7: Optimizing Organizational Cultures
- Week 8: Human Resources as Strategic Leaders & Partners
Methods of Assessment
Your final grade will be determined based on:
|Weekly Projects||40 %|
|Extra Credit Course Evaluation||1%|
Weekly discussions are an integral part of learning at Champlain College and represent a significant portion of a student’s overall grade. In order to be successful, students should:
- Post a thorough, well-crafted initial response that fully addresses and develops all aspects of the prompt by the due date.
- Engage substantively throughout the discussion period by responding to others with questions or comments that demonstrate interest, build upon the ideas of others, and encourage elaboration.
- Apply and integrate concepts from this course as well as from quality resources including journals, websites, readings from another class, relevant work or life experience, etc.
- Demonstrate attention to style, structure, grammar, etiquette, and proper citation of references to maintain academic integrity.
Discussion grades are determined using the rubric below. The descriptions show what exemplary work looks like for each aspect of an overall discussion.
|Application||Explicitly and thoroughly explains, applies, and integrates a) concepts from this or other courses, b) outside resources or research, c) life experiences, and/or d) processes used to solve problems.||30 pts|
|Critical Thinking||Clearly articulates a desire to a) reflect, b) explore possibility, c) recognize ambiguity, d) question assumptions, and/or e) search for logical relationships among ideas. Selects, analyzes, and synthesizes relevant information to demonstrate original thinking.||30 pts|
|Collaboration||Fosters collaborative learning while a) problem-solving, b) respectfully challenging others, and/or c) expanding thinking through responses and reflection with other learners throughout the week. Builds on classmate and instructor contributions to deepen the conversation.||30 pts|
|Presentation||Demonstrates attention to APA/MLA style and structure, adheres to rules of grammar and etiquette, and properly cites references to literature and course materials.||10 pts|
|Total Points: 100|
Students will have an opportunity to apply their knowledge of strategic human resources in the creation and development of a final project covering the key areas of strategic human resources. Each week, students will complete one section of the final project beginning in week two of the course.
|Completeness – Addresses all aspects of the assignment.||15 pts|
|Application – Clearly shows connections between concepts and examples.||25 pts|
|Integration – Makes explicit reference to previous learning and applies in an innovative way to demonstrate comprehension.||25 pts|
|Analysis – Evidence of careful thought and critique of the proposed approach. Rationale and logic for proposed outcomes are fully explored.||25 pts|
|Presentation – Sentence style fits paper’s audience and purpose. Sentences are varied, yet clearly structured and carefully focused, not long and rambling. Few and only minor mechanical errors.||10 pts|
|Wed, 15 Jan 2020||Assignment Week 1: Discussion – What’s so important about human capital?||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 19 Jan 2020||Assignment Week 1: Assignment – Human Capital and Social Contracting||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 22 Jan 2020||Assignment Week 2: Discussion – Minimizing Differences or Leveraging Differences?||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 26 Jan 2020||Assignment Week 2: Assignment – A Multi-generational Workforce||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 29 Jan 2020||Assignment Week 3: Discussion – Flexible, Team-based, and Networked||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 2 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 3: Assignment – Organizational Design and Structure||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 5 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 4: Discussion – Diversity as a Resource||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 9 Feb 2020||Assignment Midpoint Course Feedback Survey||due by 23:59|
|Assignment Week 4: Assignment – Recruiting and HITs||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 12 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 5: Discussion – Meaningful Training and Development||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 16 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 5: Assignment – Training and Development||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 19 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 6: Discussion – Exploring Positive Psychology||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 23 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 6: Assignment – Employee Engagement||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 26 Feb 2020||Assignment Week 7: Discussion – Strengths-based Approaches to Elevate||due by 23:59|
|Sun, 1 Mar 2020||Assignment Week 7: Assignment – Strength-based Performance Management||due by 23:59|
|Wed, 4 Mar 2020||Assignment Week 8: Discussion – Leadership in Human Resources||due by 23:59|
|Fri, 6 Mar 2020||Assignment Extra Credit: IDEA Survey Quiz||due by 23:59|
|Assignment Week 8: Assignment – Your Design for a Positive Organizational Culture||due by 23:59|